Subject: [Leica] GF1 vs Canon S90
From: rmcclure2 at woh.rr.com (rob mcclure)
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 19:11:12 -0500

After looking at all the 4/3 cameras, I got a G1 yesterday and am
really enjoying it.  The controls are very intuitive, even compared to
my Canon DSLR.  Have not had to open the owner's manual to figure it
out (yet).  I chose the G! over the more compact models because I
would have had to add an eyepiece anyway -- hate composing with the
LCD screen.  Also its balance and grip seem better suited for using my
heavier Canon FD lenses.  I also ordered a used Olympus 17mm 2.8
pancake for more compact carry. That package will be about the size of
my old Panasonic LC-5 Likea Leica, which I still use occasionally and
fits in a coat pocket. Can't wait to snap on an FD 200 2.8 or 50 1.4
once the adapter arrives.

First shots I took were (naturally) of one of our dogs. I got down on
the floor, braced my elbows and shot away.  The only light was from a
table lamp. Below is a link to a couple of the shots.  The first one
was at ASA 1600 or 800 (forget which) and the second at 800 (and
converted to b&w).  I had the stability turned on and was using the
standard zoom lens on manual focus.  I like how the image blows up for
fine focus. I shot jpeg and tweaked it a little in iPhoto.  There is
some noise, but doesn't appear any worse than on my 20D and acceptable
for my less-than discriminating tastes.  I know these aren't great
photos, but they were quick and dirty test shots.  A faster lens and
something more than available darkness should yield better results.

http://gallery.me.com/remphoto#100875

Rob McClure

Replies: Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] GF1 vs Canon S90)
Reply from philippe.amard at sfr.fr (philippe.amard) ([Leica] GF1 vs Canon S90 -Rob)