Subject: [Leica] Editing
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 13:02:12 -0500

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Robert D. Baron <rbaron at
concentric.net>wrote:

> Tina, thanks for an interesting and informative post.
>
> I'm curious:  About how long did it take her to make the first run
> through the original 6000+ images?

Three days, working about three or four hours a day.

> I've been reading about Robert Frank's editing of the photographs he
> shot during his 2 year road trip that led to the making of his book
> The Americans. I have read he shot over 27,000 frames which he then
> edited down into the 83 that wound up in the book.  Did she mention
> him in her discussions?

Yes, we talked a lot about Robert Frank and looked at his work.  We spent
part of each morning going over different photographers' work.  She is a
great believer in looking at as much photography as possible.  She said it's
especially valuable when you can see selected and rejected work in contact
sheets.

> In an article in the November 18, 2009 Online Wall Street Journal, the
> reviewer Richard Woodward talks about this process and says
> "Everything was sacrificed to the flow across pages and the four
> sections of the book."  (The article may be available online at
>
> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704322004574477761913139506.html
> it.)
>
> This concept of 'flow' from image to image is something I'm really
> trying to wrestle down to the ground.
>
> When you talk about "the way she edited my 6000+ down to 136" I am
> also curious to know if she did this on the computer or if you had
> work prints made from your almost-final selection.

We worked only in LightRoom.  She said ideally we would have had prints made
and she expects me to do that now.  We just didn't have time after the final
selection.

> I can't find a monitor big enough to allow me to view and rearrange
> near that many shots and I sure can't remember what I've got and where
> I put it on my own.
>
> LightRoom is excellent for this.  I had them all organized by families - 20
different families.  We went through one family at a time and marked each
photo as flagged or unflagged for A & B edits.  Then we assigned numbered
ratings for aesthetics and colors for like situations in the A edit.  It
makes sorting and viewing much faster and more organized.  Then you can pull
up two similar images and compare them, selecting one.

I don't think it would have been possible to edit them in a week without
LightRoom.

Tina

> --
Tina Manley, ASMP