Subject: [Leica] Editing
From: rbaron at concentric.net (Robert D. Baron)
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 11:44:11 -0600

Tina, thanks for an interesting and informative post.

I'm curious:  About how long did it take her to make the first run
through the original 6000+ images?

I've been reading about Robert Frank's editing of the photographs he
shot during his 2 year road trip that led to the making of his book
The Americans. I have read he shot over 27,000 frames which he then
edited down into the 83 that wound up in the book.  Did she mention
him in her discussions?

In an article in the November 18, 2009 Online Wall Street Journal, the
reviewer Richard Woodward talks about this process and says
"Everything was sacrificed to the flow across pages and the four
sections of the book."  (The article may be available online at
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704322004574477761913139506.html
it.)

This concept of 'flow' from image to image is something I'm really
trying to wrestle down to the ground.

When you talk about "the way she edited my 6000+ down to 136" I am
also curious to know if she did this on the computer or if you had
work prints made from your almost-final selection.

I can't find a monitor big enough to allow me to view and rearrange
near that many shots and I sure can't remember what I've got and where
I put it on my own.

--Bob

Replies: Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Editing)
Message from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] Editing)