Subject: [Leica] Agricultural Program, Helmand, Afghanistan
From: thurmanphoto at gmail.com (Wendy Thurman)
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 19:32:56 +0500

I'm not an agricultural expert but it's my understanding the corn is for
feed.  Fertilizer is a commodity that we are introducing; traditional Afghan
fertilizer has consisted largely of human waste.  Water itself isn't a
problem- it's the movement of water that is problematic.  The farming
experts I've spoken with tell me that the soil is very fertile if water can
be routed to it.  We've been able to demonstrate that row cultivation along
with judicious use of fertilizer can markedly increase production.  Other
techniques are demonstrated on the farm- trellising for grapes yields many
more kilos per hectare than simply letting the grapes go wild, for example-
that are proven to increase yield and the local growers are very interested
in these techniques.

The issue that confronts us is more complex than simply growing things- we
look at value-chain management, infrastructure development, and other such
components of a successful agrarian economy.  While our immediate, US
Government-mandated objective is to decrease poppy cultivation, this is an
involved process that requires a long-term educational effort.  That effort
is further challenged by the facts that we are dealing with a functionally
illiterate population heavily influenced by the Taliban.  Tough row to hoe,
pun intended.

Wendy