Subject: [Leica] Project Gutenberg
From: mark at whitedogs.co.uk (Mark Pope)
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 19:06:53 +0000

Just out of interest, I visited the Gutenberg site.  It prompted me to
charge up my aged Palm TX, which was languishing in a drawer in our
study.  As I was feeling adventurous I decided to try syncing the TX
with my Ubuntu workstation and after a little tweaking, I was able to
get the TX to talk to the workstation.

I downloaded a copy of Moby Dick and within about 30 minutes had worked
out how to convert the file to the correct format for the Palm Reader
software.  Actually loading the book onto the palm took a bit longer,
but as usual, mr Google was a great help.

Now I can read Moby Dick at my leisure.  The cost to me was a bit of
time.  Whilst I'm sure the Kindle or an I-Pad would look nicer and have
a bigger screen, I think the Palm TX could well have a new lease of life.

Don't you just love (oldish) technology! :-)

One thing that did interest me was the offshoot that converts books to
audio format.  I have a friend who's son has learning difficulties which
mean he can't read well, but he loves audio books - being able to
download audiobooks in mp3 format could be a real boon for him.  So I'm
very grateful for this thread.

Best wishes

Mark

Mark Pope,