Subject: [Leica] Project Gutenberg
From: shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka)
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:54:45 -0500

gutenberg is an enormously valuable resource to anyone with an interest
in the (non-copyrighted) seminal documents of all time.

i've been using it for almost 20 (!) years, but i was stunned to find
that it's been around since 1971.

"[Gutenberg founder] [Michael] Hart related that after his account was
created on July 4, 1971, he had been trying to think of what to do with
it and had seized upon a copy of the United States Declaration of
Independence
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Declaration_of_Independence>,
which he had been given at a grocery store on his way home from watching
fireworks <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fireworks> that evening. He
typed the text into a teletype <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teletype>
machine but was unable to transmit it via e-mail
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail>. Thus, to avoid "crashing the
system", it had to be downloaded individually.  This was the beginning
of Project Gutenberg."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_S._Hart

the free iphone app "stanza" can easily download gutenberg (and other)
books over the air.

-rei