Subject: [Leica] LUG Digest, Vol 44, Issue 86
From: shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka)
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 10:31:15 -0500

what larry said.

the strategic success of the strike is debatable, given that the goal
was to deny and delay America access to the Pacific.  Crucially, on the
morning of Dec 7, 1941 all three Pacific US carriers were away from
Pearl, the Enterprise was coming back to port after delivering aircraft
to Wake, Lexington was steaming toward Midway to deliver planes there
(she turned back after the attack) and Saratoga was in San Diego.
Yorktown was at that time part of the Atlantic fleet, to be transferred
later that month.

Of the 8 battleships at Pearl, 4 were sunk, of these 3 were raised, and
2 were rebuilt for battle.

As an testament to America's industrial and economic strength, the US
built an astonishing 17 Essex carriers between 1942-1945, of which 14
saw service in the war.  The Intrepid in NYC is an example of this class.

-rei