Subject: [Leica] OT Pana GF1 (20 pancake) & Ricoh GRD-III Mark's views now he has a GF1
From: mark at whitedogs.co.uk (Mark Pope)
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 16:43:42 +0000

Having just taken delivery of a GF1 with 20 Pancake lens, my initial
thoughts are that I am going to get along famously with this camera.
Likes:

- overall build quality

- size - not too big, not too small.  Perfect for Goldilocks :-)

- ergonomics - it didn't take too long to suss out where everything was.
  Why though does a camera need a 196-page manual (see below...)

- optical quality - which is what really matters isn't it?  The first
few prints that I have made are nice an sharp and the colour rendition
is excellent (according to Karin, whose colour vision is much, much
better than mine).

- autofocus - the face-detection and follow-focus features work very
well indeed.

Dislikes:

- the battery/SD card door feels a bit flimsy.  It spoils an otherwise
very nicely made camera.

- vertical pictures are not auto-rotated when imported to Lightroom.  I
subsequently discovered that this feature which is known as the
'direction detection feature', isn't supported with the 20mm pancake
lens.  Not a deal-breaker, but as I like to shoot portrait format quite
a lot, it's an annoyance.

- more modes than you can shake a stick at.  I think the camera was
dipped in Complicatonite. There are scene modes: 17 of them, plus the
usual Program, Aperture priority, Shutter Priority, manual, movie,
intelligent auto, two custom modes and one with an artist's pallette,
which I have no idea about.  Then there are the flash modes (which I
haven't looked at yet).  This little camera is very a la mode!   In
short, I think it, like many other cameras of Japanese origin, is too
complicated.  Features have been added for three reasons: first because
the marketers think it's a good idea, second because the opposition do
it and third because they can.

In terms of physical size, the body is roughly the same size as a Ricoh
GR1 (film compact) with the lens retracted.  The 20mm lens is quite a
big lens and does add considerably to the bulk of the camera (it's not
really  pocketable) but the balance is nice.

For me, the biggest advantage of the GF1 is definitely the 4/3 sensor.
I've used it up to ISO 800 and produced some pleasing prints.  Yes, they
are noisy, but whether the noise is acceptable is a personal thing.

Overall, then I think it's a smashing piece of kit.  I haven't tried an
optical finder yet: that's on its way thanks to Nathan.
Is it better than the GRD III?  Probably.  Whilst the Ricoh is now in
its third generation, I feel that the small sensor will still be a
limiting factor in its overall image quality.  I have heard that
Panasonic are due to bring out a 14mm pancake lens, giving a field of
view equivalent to a 28mm.  Now that will be an interesting combination!

I hope you find this useful.  Pictures to follow, probably when I post
my PAW on Friday.

Best wishes

Mark

Mark Pope,