Subject: [Leica] Measuring exposure lag (a long post)
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 16:55:06 -0800

Larry, you can measure 'exposure lag' in a lot of different ways.
Each way can simulate a different condition that  may arise.

Photographically, 'exposure lag' will vary a lot depending on the
type of photography that you are doing.

If you are in a blind, and want to catch a bird just as it appears at
the opening of its next in the trunk of a tree, your example might
apply. Please note 'might'. It would apply if the bird will appear in
the next 5 to 30 seconds. If it is likely to appear within 4 to 5
hours, your reaction time will be longer, and the lag will suffer.
Sometimes my exposure lag is a couple of minutes, because I will see
a picture, slam on the brakes, back up and stop, jump out of the car,
jump back in to get the camera gear I want, put the right lens on the
camera and then run around the car to see the picture and take it.

As you noted, to get a picture of the ball hitting the bat,
anticipation is necessary as well as experience with baseball and
with your camera and how you interact with it. With practice, it's
quite possible to get your picture within the correct 20 or 30
milliseconds 75% or the time or better.

The shorter the camera's shutter lag time, the easier it is to get to
that point of familiarity. When you are very familiar with your
camera, have taken tens of thousands of frames, lag time becomes a
non-issue as you have learned when to start the process of initiating
the process of taking a picture to get the picture when you want.
This is assuming you are also familiar with your subject matter. HCB
knew his subject matter, and could have gotten that puddle jumper
with a camera that had 250ms shutter lag, as long as he would have
had enough frames through it to know the camera.

Problems come up when you use a couple of different cameras, or when
you use autofocus, especially when you use autofocus in focus
priority. Then that experience doesn't kick in correctly, and then a
short lag camera will give you a better chance of getting the shot
than a long lag camera.

As for the Rollei 35, it as well as most other between the lens
shuttered cameras can be very quick; the quickest being those that
have a soft, short travel shutter release on the lens itself. The
Rollei has the problem that it doesn't have the smoothest release, so
it's not always as predictable as one would like. Not like an SWC,
but still not that smooth.