Subject: [Leica] OT Pana GF1 (20 pancake) & Ricoh GRD-III
From: mark at whitedogs.co.uk (Mark Pope)
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 10:14:20 +0000

I used to have the original GR-D with external viewfinder.  I bought it
on the basis that I loved my film-based GR-1.  I was disappointed with
the GR-D for a number of reasons:
1. The camera was painfully slow if I tried to use it in raw mode.
2. Image quality was OK, but the small sensor made for a noisy image -
for me it was all but unusable above about ISO 200.
3. The JPEGs weren't brilliant.

I replaced it with a Canon G9, which I felt was a better camera overall
the tiny sensor however is still a limiting factor for me.

I'm sure the GRD-III is a much better camera than the original GRD, but
personally, I wouldn't buy one as I believe it still has a small sensor.
   Now, if it had an APS-C sized sensor and a 17.5mm lens (28mm
equivalent), then that would be a different proposition.  The other
thing that bothers me with the GRD and Canon G9 is the aspect ratio of
the sensor which is such that if you want to shoot in 1:1.5 format, you
have to effectively shoot at a lower resolution.

I am very interested in the GF1 with the 20mm pancake lens.  I had a
look at one earlier this week and was quite taken with the build quality
and handling.  I would prefer to have a direct viewfinder - I haven't
made up my mind yet whether to buy a 40mm Voigtlander viewfinder or the
electronic viewfinder when I get one.

I loved the build quality of the Ricoh, but I think the Panasonic is as
good IMHO.

If you can live with the fixed lens (which retracts into the GRD body,
making it possible to keep the camera in a shirt pocket) and the small
sensor size, the it may be a good buy.  But if image quality is more
important than compactness, then I think the GF1 wins.

I hope this helps Steve.

Best wishes

Mark

Mark Pope,