Subject: [Leica] IMG: Lovely Day in the Neighborhood
From: hewthompson at mac.com (Hugh Thompson)
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 23:14:53 +0430

Today it was beautiful in Kabul.  There was a wind which dispersed the
usual heavy pollution, and the sun was singing out of a clear sky.
Also I was able to go out today ...... that was a good break.

This photo, looking north, shows a local police station with the
yellow gates, and a guard outside.  When there was the recent bombing,
all those balconies and the roof was manned with armed men.  In
addition, if you look above the two parked cars in the centre of the
picture, you will see a sandbagged gun emplacement, where they set up
the heavy machine gun.  There are other locations too, to provide a
"box" and crossfire.

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Hugh+Thompson/Afghanistan/Neighborhood/DSC01137.jpg.html

Looking west, we recently had snow, the street is wet, with very large
potholes.  The streets are very poorly maintained, notwithstanding
that this local area has offices and residences for many foreign
companies.  I was told the building with the eagle is owned by a
wealthy Chinese company.

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Hugh+Thompson/Afghanistan/Neighborhood/DSC01141.jpg.html

This is our local street, because it is a Friday morning, it is quiet,
but usually very busy.  This is also deceptive, because there are many
large potholes.  You will see the gates which shut off the outside
world.

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Hugh+Thompson/Afghanistan/Neighborhood/DSC01146.jpg.html

Young BBQer.  Children do a lot of work here, often at risk to
themselves.  They run around the roads, begging, selling all sorts of
things to make a few Afghanis.

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Hugh+Thompson/Afghanistan/Neighborhood/DSC01148.jpg.html

Ah, the bakery.  Here are a few problems.  The Afghan bread,
particularly the long style, is very crispy and quite delicious.  I
have to tell cook to only give me a quarter, but he still insists on
giving me a half ...... sigh!

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Hugh+Thompson/Afghanistan/Neighborhood/DSC01149.jpg.html

Camera:  Sony DSC-S950 processing in iPhoto

C&Cs welcomed

Hugh

Replies: Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] IMG: Lovely Day in the Neighborhood)