Subject: [Leica] M9, lag time, perception and other things
From: datamaster at northcoastphotos.com (Gary Todoroff)
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 21:57:08 -0800

Likewise, Ted. Lag-time was something I never thought of until some
of the early digital cameras. I just posted the thoughts below on the
MyOlympus e-list this week, bemoaning the fact of unacceptable
shutter lag-time on every live-view DSLR they have made since the E-330:

"For my money, the real revolution at Olympus was with the E-330 (can
it be almost four years ago already?) and its second sensor for live
view with immediate shutter response (Mode A). I'll never understand
why Olympus abandoned their own revolution. The first time I had a
chance to try Live View shooting on [the newer] E-30 was at a carnival. The
camera owner and I bent over the flipped-out LCD screen, our body
language implying that we were studying the camera as I framed a
candid portrait shot just a couple feet away. "Ah, there is the look
I'm waiting for" - click. Then clack,clack, click . . . the person
had already moved half way out of the frame by the time the shutter fired!"

Every other DSLR with Live View uses the main image sensor to display
the Live View image on the LCD. I can sometimes be prophetic out to
about an eight of a second, but the lag-time in Live View (except on
the E-330) is unacceptable. The Decisive Moment is gone by the time
the shutter actually fires after all that mirror clicking and
clacking. And anyone who thinks today that Live View with a
flip-screen is just a gimmick would have thought that the M3 was just
another camera 60 years ago!

Gary Todoroff

Replies: Reply from richard.lists at gmail.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] M9, lag time, perception and other things)
Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca) ([Leica] M9, lag time, perception and other things)