Subject: [Leica] Walking along the Seine in Paris
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 21:50:43 +0100

http://www.kbkcl.co.uk/2008/03/privacy-law-the-french-experience/

and

http://www.presscouncil.org.au/pcsite/apcnews/may99/privacy.html

Quoting from the latter article:

"Christian Ducasse, of the French association of journalists, reporters and
film-makers, told the Telegraph: "There's a new case every day. In the past
only celebrities sued. Now the judges have decided it's the turn of the
average man in the street. But it is impossible to ask a crowd of
demonstrators if it minds being photographed."

Citing last year's triumphant World Cup crowds as an example, he said: "I
heard people around me say, 'Let him go ahead; don't stop him, we'll hit the
jackpot later.'"

The work of photographers such as Henri Cartier-Bresson and Robert Doisneau
has virtually been ruled out of order. They are noted for the photographs of
the passing scene, but if they photographed people without their permission
they would now catch the wrath of the courts. Privacy and photography came
to prominence around the world with the death of Princess Diana in Paris in
1997."

I too have pics on my web site that violate French law, but at least I live
outside France...

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain