Subject: [Leica] Great Moments in the History of Communism
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 16:42:27 +1000

I don't know anything about the Chinese market except that I did hear about
those commemorative limited editions made for sale there. The gaudy gold one
is not personally my cup of tea.
I don't follow why some people in other countries have taken offence (based
on political views or history) that Leica has made these available in China.
Seems like the countries of origin of our favourite cameras have some
historical significance as well. Of course there is a Leica store in Moscow
as well etc etc. As far as I know these are not even offered for sale
anywhere else but perhaps some may end up in other collectors' cupboards.
On the M8 and M8.2, certainly Leica has said that serial production has
stopped when the M9 was introduced. That doesn't preclude limited
'commemorative' runs though.White M8s for example were certainly still being
assembled in Solms last July after M8 serial production had stopped.  I
imagine that these types of sales help cashflow for Leica for little effort.
 Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman