Subject: [Leica] M8 file problems
From: geordiepete211 at yahoo.co.uk (Peter Cheyne)
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 21:10:26 +0000 (GMT)

I bought an M8 recently and have a some problems, too many to list in this
e-mail, but I'd like some advice to remedy the most serious problem.  I
uploaded 4 files to this Picasa page:
http://picasaweb.google.com/peter.cheyne/20100122#

The first two photos were shot as JPEG and are fine.  They are the right
size and not corrupted.  The next two pjhhotos I posted there have two
serious defects.  Firstly, even though they are 10MBs each, they are only
320 x 240 pixels.  Secondly, they look as if they have been cut down the
middle then put back together with the left half on the right side and the
right side on the left half..

I attached my M8 to the computer and opened them with Picasa.  This is
because I am away from home now and do not have access to my Lightroom 2.0
loaded Mac.  I could not use the Capture One LE software that came with the
camaera , perhaps this is because the camera was bought used, and the serial
number on the back of the CDROM sleeve has already been used to license
another user via a different e-mail address from mine.  Anyway, Picasa nots
on its website that it works with Leica's M8 DNGs.

I took over 70 photos for a lady who wanted images of her holiday cottage
and the surrounding area.  I promised the man who does her websites that I'd
get the photos to him bwithin 3 days.  I thought this promise to have the
photos colour-corrected and uploaded withing 3 days was amply conservative,
but I never counted on this stumbling block.    I wonder if the problem is
because I USB-linked the M8 to the PC, rather than uploaded the data with
with a card-reader.  I  can't see me getting a card-reader within a couple
of days out here in the countryside, but I could trek into the city if I
were certain that getting one would solve the problem.   It seems that the
320 x 240 pixel images are the small images that the M8 uses to display the
photos on its LCD.  I have no idea.

Can someone please help?

Peter

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] M8 file problems)