Subject: [Leica] A brief personal review of the Nokton 50mm f1.1 and a couple of pictures
From: mark at whitedogs.co.uk (Mark Pope)
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 15:21:15 +0000

Ernie,

thanks.  The play on the Zeiss is an odd phenomenon.  I wonder why that
happens?
I have read a few complaints about problems with focus, but I'm not sure
how many posters have actually used the lens in anger.  Moreover, I
think too few people actually expect instant success nowadays and so if
they don't get it without putting in a little effort, they blame the
equipment.
Your point about bracketing the focus is well-made.  Any problems with
my images are much more likely to be a problem with me now that I'm
approaching 50 and need varifocal spectacles!

A couple of months ago, I discussed the issue of focusing the lens
accurately with Frank Dernie when we met for lunch.  We agreed that when
using the lens wide-open, just the act of recomposing after focusing is
probably enough to affect the critical focus (say when focusing on a
person's eye).  Add a touch of subject movement and a little
photographer movement and you have instant focus shift!

I also think that digital has made many of us (myself included) far too
critical - it's easy to reject a shot after having decided that it's not
critically sharp when viewed at 100% on a monitor when in fact if it was
  printed, the result would probably be plenty good enough to pass muster.

Mark Pope,
Swindon, Wilts
UK

Homepage               http://www.monomagic.co.uk