Subject: [Leica] GF-1 getting trashed on Wired.com
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 07:29:54 +0000

Hi Adam,
it is interesting how people respond differently to Electronic viewfinders.
I do not like the ones I had tried much but bought a Panasonic G1 after
trying it at Photokina. It is in a different league to the previous lowish
resolution ones I had tried. I have upgraded to a GH1 so my
going-on-a-trip-with-grandchildren kit has HD video capability too. And it
can take my Leica M and R lenses.
I have not tried the GF1 but extensively used the Olympus EP1 and -hated-
using the live view screen on the back for anything other than snapshots
with wide angle lenses.
The GH1 with the pancake lens and viewfinder on is not that much bigger than
the GF1, in terms of overall envelope, The viewfinder bulge sticks up the
same as the accessory VF, the handgrip sticks out no more than the 20mm
f1.7, the back being thicker because of the fold out screen is worth it for
me for my faux-Rolleiflex shots. I guess as you don't like the accessory VF,
the GF1 is usefully smaller though.
It will never be my main camera, but wow what quality and versatility in a
small package!
cheers,
Frank