Subject: [Leica] IMG: Sparrows
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto at earthlink.net)
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 11:55:58 -0500

Realizing I had very few good photos of the birds literally in my back
yard, I spent a few hours last weekend sitting by my feeding station.  Five
species of sparrows (family Emberizidae) visited:

Dark-eyed Junco, Oregon form:
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/emberizidae/doju03.html

Spotted Towhee, formerly thought to be conspecific with the Eastern Towhee:
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/emberizidae/spto05.html

White-crowned Sparrow:
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/emberizidae/wcsp05.html

Golden-crowned Sparrow:
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/bpy2010/L1260316.html

California Towhee:
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/bpy2010/L1260286.html

These sparrows all prefer dense brush so getting a clear view was a bit
difficult.  They also move very quickly so I ended up with numerous
(deleted) photos of backs of heads and departing tailfeathers.  Those of
you who are familiar with horses might recognize some of the 'dirt clods'
in the Spotted Towhee photo.

My previous attempts at photographing these backyard birds involved a blind
with unsatisfactory results, so this time I simply sat quietly and waited
for the birds to learn that I wasn't about to eat them.

technical stuff: Leica R8 with DMR, 560mm f/6.8 Telyt-R with UET-R
extension tube, tripod.  All comments welcome.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

mail2web LIVE ? Free email based on Microsoft? Exchange technology -
http://link.mail2web.com/LIVE

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] IMG: Sparrows)
Reply from hewthompson at mac.com (Hugh Thompson) ([Leica] IMG: Sparrows)
Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] IMG: Sparrows)