Subject: [Leica] Oatmeal revisited
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 19:19:03 -0500

<wildlightphoto at earthlink.net>
> wrote:
> Sonny Carter wrote:
>
>>Amazingly, it does a nice job of cooking
> Zatarains rice, and keeping
>>it warm all afternoon.
>
> Not a good idea. ?Any
> cooked starchy food kept warm for several hours is an invitation for food
> poisoning. ?It's not likely you'd die from it but you'd sure want to.

I think
> warm is not the right term.  Hot is more like what it keeps
it.   It works,
> because Zatarains is not a mushy rice.

And then, "all afternoon" is a

--

Regards,

Sonny
http://www.sonc.com
http://sonc.stumbleupon.com/
Natchitoches
> ,
> Louisiana
(+31.754164,-093.099080)

USA

> for more information

If you look at the side of a Zatarain's rice  box the stuff is not exactly
pure as the driven snow. Ingredients:  brown rice, dehydrated vegetables
(onion, bell pepper), salt, paprika, garlic, autolyzed yeast, monosodium
glutamate, spices, soy sauce, caramel color, partially hydrogenated soybean
oil, silicon dioxide (flow agent).
Perhaps because they know their clientele is more so people from down there
who like to keep an open pot going. Not foodies from Vermont who are going
to use a solar powered microwave.

Monosodium glutamate will preserve anything well into the next ice age and
make your sweet and sour shrimp florescent like a pink flamenco.
It is however the one additive I draw the line on.
If its in there I'm getting something else.

http://www.cajungrocer.com/zatarains-brown-rice-jambalaya-mix-p-612.html

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] Oatmeal revisited)