Subject: [Leica] [OT] Scanning Kodachrome help
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 18:30:30 -0500

> On Jan 12, 2010, at 7:18 AM, Spencer Cheng wrote:
>
>> Gents,
>>
>> I was hoping for a few tips on how to scan difficult Kodachrome, not for
>> so
>> many of you to spend so much of your time tinkering with the image.
>>

>> I will have to learn PS one of these days. I like to do a little as
>> possible
>> to my images out of laziness.
>
> those are two statements that seem at first glance,    at odds...
>
> unless what you are going to learn, is what not to do...

I spent decades going to a rental color lab on a regular basis where I made
my color prints with an omega head and  a Kreonite processor. Both color neg
and direct positive.
For a first  test print to come out with the snow showing 10 or 15 points
magenta was nothing. Its a first test. You correct it.
You don't go out and buy an new enlarger or a new brand paper.
There's nothing phony about it either.
The magenta is not suppose to be there.
Its called crafting a print.
And nowadays maybe there's no paper.
Your crafting an Jpeg. There's no paper.

To me not having Photoshop is like you want to do it without an omega head.
Which you could easily do if you wanted to hire somebody to Photoshop all
your pix for you. Which I think would make you amazingly lazy.
We can learn new stuff here just because we're older than 2 or 3 decades
old.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng) ([Leica] [OT] Scanning Kodachrome help)