Subject: [Leica] [OT] Scanning Kodachrome help
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 18:24:09 -0500

> Gents,
>
> I was hoping for a few tips on how to scan difficult Kodachrome, not for so
> many of you to spend so much of your time tinkering with the image.
>
> Jaynand/Nathan, I will have to learn PS one of these days. I like to do a
> little as possible to my images out of laziness. :)
>
> Geoff, both Vuescan and Silverfast scan this slide in similar fashion. I
> will
> try to twiddle some more setting.
>
> Mark, the snow is not the only problem. The rock wall in the background
> should
> be brown/black. A lot of the subtle gradation in the snow and the rocks got
> lost.
>
> Pasvorn, the contrast seems to be really cranked up in your version. Is
> that
> because of the layering?
>
> Alastair, the Kodachrome is only about 8 years old and kept in a dark
> closet
> so it shouldn't have shifted.
>
> Phillip's version comes closest. I went back to the original and rescanned
> using Silverfast with magenta tuned down a lot.
>
> [I am somewhat surprised at the mess an (IT8) calibrated scanner made of
> this
> Kodachrome slide which should not be that difficult to scan. The dynamic
> range
> is not incredible unlike some of the other slides I have (again in the
> Rockies, cloudless day at 2000+M, deep, deep blue sky, bright sun) that I
> am
> having problems with.]
>
> This scan is much closer to the original. The rock wall is still a bit off
> but
> at least the snow and water is about right. Thanks for all your help.
>
> <http://www.aotera.org/tmp/ice2.jpg>
>
> [Now I just to get rid of some of that dust.. :( Digital definitely has
> some
> advantages.]
>
> Regards,
> Spencer

The dynamic range in snow shots are nothing to sneeze at.
Snow shots are hard. Plenty of people just cant pull them off.

Scanning is not something that you're always going  to get right the first
time.  Unless you're doing it every day for a year and even then. Its in a
sense the new darkroom work
This idea of if your first scan does not come out right then go out and by
some other software if find hysterically funny.

We all have more money than time don't we?

No you just go back and try it again with the same software.
Take it off the default. Take it off auto.
Slide a few of the sliders.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng) ([Leica] [OT] Scanning Kodachrome help)