Subject: [Leica] No photography in Museum
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 17:10:41 +1000

I've had similar frustraing experiences to what Ric has described and I have
no problem with the no flash or tripods rule. Sometimes the blanket bans
don't have to be logical, just easier to enforce. FWIW almost every exhibit
or gallery that I visited in Germany prohibited all photography except for
the Pergamon exhibit in Berlin. An armoury at Dresden permitted photography
providing you paid an extra fee! Closer to on topic,  Solms took away
everyone's cameras before the factory tour (arriving late I was allowed to
keep mine but only to point it at display material in the corridors). I
think that was related to commercial confidentiality regarding their
processes except then they later published a video publicly showing
everything and more that I wanted to document with my Leica while
escorted at all times. On the other hand at the customer service
facility (accompanied by the Division Head) we were free to blaze away at
anything visible.