Subject: [Leica] IMG: 2010 PLUS FILM AND PROJECTOR THOUGHTS!
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 15:58:34 -0800

Rudy said:
Subject: Re: [Leica] IMG: 2010
> This might be Jayanand, but *for me* there is no digital substitute for a
> slide projector. <<<

Aw gee whiz Rudy and I was beginning to like you! ;-) :-) :-)

I have two Leica projectors sitting here never been used in probably more
than 8-9 years at least. WHY?

Well I haven't shot slide film for at least that long and when I prepare a
new lecture and I require slide film images from my files, I scan them to
digital images that are dropped into the program along with true digital
images shot with a digital camera of whatever make at the day.

When they come up on screen from a digital projector they all look smashing
and I'd say extremely difficult to tell one from the other. Film or digital.

And as far as shooting film, B&W or colour ever again? I would have to be
paid an enormous amount of money to do so! Not worth the time and effort of
processing, chemicals and trips back and forth to the colour lab waiting for
the film to be souped.

If one has a reasonable filing system for digital there isn't any reason not
to find an image whether you shot it today or 10 years ago. Yes we all know
of and heard of, the "digital fade factor and equipment to read the images
on a disk." But being the logical reasonable understanding types most
photographers are, it's quite simple to avoid the fade and equipment
factor.... we move or up grade as time and technical aspects change. We then
are always able to retrieve whatever image in all it's glory as though it
were shot that day!

Do I understand all things digital? NOT A HOPE! :-) But I've stumbled along
and so far it's just the greatest for my life as a photojournalist. As I
said I wouldn't go back to film unless I was paid handsomely and somebody
else did all the running around taking film to the lab and picking it up.
And waiting time!

During my 60 years as a professional souping all my B&W film of various
sizes, there's not a hope in hell I'd ever want to do it again. Not for any
particular reason, but it's a big pain in the ass and digital is so much
easier. :-) And digital quality is becoming so incredible that it puts film
on the back of the stove never to be considered of any use ever again.

And the quality of digital imaging is improving daily and going to be well
beyond our wildest quality imagination! cheers,
ted

Replies: Reply from styx at me.com (Ruediger Merz) ([Leica] IMG: 2010 PLUS FILM AND PROJECTOR THOUGHTS!)
Message from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] IMG: 2010)
Message from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] IMG: 2010)