Subject: [Leica] IMG: 2010
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 04:10:43 -0500

> Ted,
>
> Not color film, but slides. Today is my wife's birthday and I had to decide
> what camera to use. D300/SB800, M8 SF20 or M6TTL/SF20/Velvia 100. I decided
> for the M6. Why? Because later (much later) we can share her fiftieth
> birthday
> on a slide projector . A digital file would just vanish in on of those
> hundreds of folders.;) For important photos I still use slide film.
>

> Best,
> Rudy
> ---
> Website: http://www.avianart.com
> PGP Public Key : http://www.avianart.com/pub/GPGP-PublicKey.asc

That's a darned shame every time you do a shot with a D300 the file
disappears into a fielder never to be seen again. I'd get a book on digital
workflows and get a grasp on your basic software.
Accessibility is a reason to for digital not a reason against it. We people
older than 40 need to be able to learn more things.
For decades I ran into people who had a closet of yellow boxes filled with
slides with no clue as to what was in the boxes. And it seemed little care.
To find a slide could have taken a year 5 days a week 5 hours a day.
They shoot a roll of film. Get it back. Look at it. Never to be seen again.
That level of dilettanteness is hard to repeat or justify in this digital
age. Digital is way more hands on.
- there's this thing thing called keywords. And folders in chorological
order all kinds of searchable labeling.
If I met you at a thing 4 years ago I could find the image in a minute and
so could most people.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] IMG: 2010)