Subject: [Leica] A grab bag of comments- Guernica
From: h_arche at yahoo.com (H. Ball Arche)
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 14:15:14 -0800 (PST)

"Picasso's "Guernica" was on display at New York's Museum of Modern Artfor a
number of years. It occupied a solo room near the wall sized
mural of Monet's "Water Lillies." You could go from wartime chaos to
tranquility in a few steps. Picasso refused to have Guernica  hung in
Fascist Spain during WW2. I believe it was returned after his death."

>From Wiki:

As early as 1968, Franco had expressed an interest in having Guernica return
to Spain.[1] However, Picasso refused to allow this until the Spanish people
again enjoyed a republic. He later added other conditions, such as the
restoration of "public liberties and democratic institutions". Picasso died
in 1973. Franco, ten years Picasso's junior, died two years later, in 1975.
After Franco's death, Spain was transformed into a democratic constitutional
monarchy, ratified by a new constitution in 1978. However, MOMA was
reluctant to give up one of their greatest treasures and argued that a
constitutional monarchy did not represent the republic that had been
stipulated in Picasso's will as a condition for the painting's return. Under
great pressure from a number of observers, MOMA finally ceded the painting
to Spain in 1981. The Spanish historian Javier Tusell was one of the
negotiators.