Subject: [Leica] D700 added to ISO testing folder
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 01:54:17 -0500

> Howard:
>
> Whenever I see high-ISO D700 shots, I want one.  Except that I don't
> want to carry it around  :-)
>
> Just for laughs, I ran the your M8 ISO 2500 and 1250 pictures through
> Neat Image.  I did the kind of noise reduction I prefer--aggressive on
> chroma noise and sparing on luminance noise.  I usually don't shoot my
> M8 above ISO 640, so this was an interesting exercise for me.
>
> Results here:
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/M8_ISO_2500_filtered.jpg.html
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/M8_ISO_1250_filtered.jpg.html

Except  the Nikon shot didn't need any noise reduction at all at 2500
Here we are looking at them at 1:1
4256 pixels / 72dpi = 59 inches across!!

If we printed that image
4256 / 240  = 17.7 inch print we'd not see that very faint but sharp grain
at at all.!
I see it being a grainless 11x17 inch print.

But at  1:1 as we see it blown up on our monitors we now with the software
see instead of faint sharp grain we see less faint week old mushroom grain.
Which again would proably disappear once it was printed or rezzed down to
look good a a typical web layout.

 .

Mark William Rabiner