Subject: [Leica] D700 added to ISO testing folder
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 21:34:33 -0800

Howard:

Whenever I see high-ISO D700 shots, I want one.  Except that I don't
want to carry it around  :-)

Just for laughs, I ran the your M8 ISO 2500 and 1250 pictures through
Neat Image.  I did the kind of noise reduction I prefer--aggressive on
chroma noise and sparing on luminance noise.  I usually don't shoot my
M8 above ISO 640, so this was an interesting exercise for me.

Results here:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/M8_ISO_2500_filtered.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/M8_ISO_1250_filtered.jpg.html

Compare the filtered M8 file at 2500 with the your Nikon ISO 3200 file.
The Nikon is still better, but now things are a bit closer than they
were before, probably within 1 stop.  If you view them both at 1:2 or
1:3, which is how they will look when printed, then you can see that
while the Nikon is still better, the Leica is still usable for
reasonable print size. Things stay pretty gritty in the low tones unless
I really smear the detail, which I don't want to do.

Whatever Nikon is doing with on-chip noise reduction is pretty darned
impressive. Neat Image can do some pretty amazing things with the noise
in the midtones and highlights. But the M8 does seem to fall off the
digital cliff at 2500, especially in the darkest tones.

At ISO 1250 (M8) vs. 1600 (D700), Neat Image on the M8 picture evens
things out pretty well. I think the filtered M8 file is pretty
comparable to the D700 file, even at 100%.

After what I've seen, I think I will be less reluctant to use ISO 1250
when it's needed.

I'll leave the two filtered files up up for a few days.  Howard, if you
want to grab the full-sized files and add them to your test folder, feel
free.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter) ([Leica] D700 added to ISO testing folder)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] D700 added to ISO testing folder)