Subject: [Leica] IMG: White-rumped Shama (repost)
From: rgacpa at yahoo.com (Bob Adler)
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 11:00:13 -0800 (PST)

Thanks!
?Bob Adler
Palo Alto, CA
http://www.rgaphoto.com

________________________________
From: Doug Herr <wildlightphoto at earthlink.net>
To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>
Sent: Thu, December 24, 2009 10:29:25 AM
Subject: Re: [Leica] IMG: White-rumped Shama (repost)

Bob Adler wrote:

I'm also curious, if you wouldn't mind sharing, how you masked the
background from the Shama so well. Any technique you could share would be
appreicated.
<<<

>________________________________
>From: Doug Herr <wildlightphoto at earthlink.net>
>
>(previous) http://www.wildlightphoto.com/temp/wrsh00.jpg
>
>(revised) http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/turdidae/wrsh00.jpg

Using a creaky old copy of PS6: adjustment layers (Curves in my case)
include a default mask that encompasses the entire picture area.? Once I've
made the adjustment layer I can erase part of the mask with the eraser
tool.? If I make the adjustment layer for the background, I erase the 'bird'
parts of the mask, using a large brush with 100% opacity far from edges, and
successively smaller brushes at higher magnification & lower opacity near
bird/background boundaries.? It gets really fussy where little tufts of
feathers extend beyond clear boundaries so this can be really tedious to do
well.? To review your mask you can go to the channels window and click on
the check box to the left of the mask channel.? This is also handy for
un-erasing where your initial erasure was too aggressive.

Once you've got the mask where you want it, duplicate the adjustment layer,
invert the mask (Command-I) and apply the foreground adjustment curves to
the duplicate adjustment layer.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com