Subject: [Leica] Leica M8 -- too fragile for the real world - or don't sweat while using it...
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 18:30:02 +0100

I love my M8, and I am sure I will love my M9 even more when I buy one
sometime in 2011 when the price has fallen to my level.

But I must also say that "they don't build them like they used to" and that
Leica service does not match the premium price charged for the equipment, at
least in my experience.

Some of you may remember that I sent my M8 to Solms about 3 weeks ago
because the main switch had become very hard to turn. Today, I received the
repair estimate by e-mail. Leica's diagnosis is:

"The main switch sticks and is corroded due to penetration of a sticky
liquid. Below the top cover the housing is also corroded. Electronic parts
seem to be O.K"

They then offer to repair it for ? 267.30.

What's wrong with this picture?

Firstly, I know for a fact that during the 1 year I have had this M8, I have
not spilled any "sticky" or other liquid on it. The only liquid I can think
of is...sweat. It gets hot in Alicante in the summer, and it has probably
happened that a drop of sweat would fall from my face down onto the camera
around my neck. And presumably the air in Alicante has a high salt content
since we are at the shore of the Mediterranean which has a high salt
content. But still--does this mean that a camera renowned for its ruggedness
in the hands of photojournalists is now too fragile to be used in a
moderately hot, seaside location??

Secondly, in offering me their estimate, Leica overlooked that I bought the
camera with the 2-year Passport warranty, so regardless of liquid or not,
this should be fixed for free. Or have I misunderstood what Passport means?

Cheers,
A frustrated Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain