Subject: [Leica] M9 Internal IR-Cut filter make the camera fragile to use?
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 05:13:45 +0000
References: <8c8849060912180102j3e923072n699bfa64072e7442@mail.gmail.com> <4563F7F7-54B0-434F-BE00-17FFAC3C1E15@ameritech.net> <36172e5a0912181442w147b5244rbc2debf41f2c6dc1@mail.gmail.com> <634544D3-95D0-4A72-AF0F-91C2B8AB76EE@ameritech.net> <36172e5a0912181950h5e8faea5i4555f72307297462@mail.gmail.com> <7BFAA2CB-E2F6-41C2-B8E7-3D5DD46D7E7C@ameritech.net> <697603.39657.qm@web86708.mail.ird.yahoo.com> <57FC1FB6-4393-41D6-A5E4-643D9F0F3427@ameritech.net>

Hi Dante,
I don't personally think that the person who uses a Nikon D3x would consider
it as an alternative to a M9, more a complement, at least I do.
I don't think that Leica need to address this as a matter of self
preservation. Perhaps Zeiss and Cosina need to address it though. They have
profited greatly from Leica, in as much as I bet there are at least 50
photographers using their lenses on Leica bodies for every one using their
own body.
Correcting the Kodak radial shift in software is relatively trivial.
Compensating for the light fall off and change in IR filter in software less
so. I have looked into it a bit and you would have to sacrifice about 4
stops of dynamic range in order to give margin for the correction.
I really don't think there are enough old-style incompatible lenses out
there to make any real impact on Leica survival in terms of sales volume,
and I would not be surprised to find that the cost of writing software to
make a correction many users would find an unacceptable compromise would a)
cost more than any extra profit made by the extra handful of cameras sold as
a result and b) result in still more criticism for the loss of dynamic range
which some people will find unacceptable and not realise is inherent in the
lens not the camera.
I buy Leica mainly for the lenses. I would not buy an M9 to use cheaper
lenses. If Super WA on a budget is the requirement a CV lens on a Bessa body
with film is the economical answer.
Cheers,
Frank

Message from dstella1 at ameritech.net (Dante Stella) ([Leica] M9 Internal IR-Cut filter make the camera fragile to use?)