Subject: [Leica] IMG: Splat the Cat
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 07:33:44 -0800

Jim Nichols showed:

>I took the E-1 to our family Thanksgiving gathering at my son's house
>today.  Snapshots under the room lighting worked fairly well, though the
>shutter speeds were fairly slow.
>
> One of the chores was to entertain the great-grandkids while the grownups
> prepared the food.  I captured this shot of my son Bob reading to two of
> his grandkids.
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Splat+the+Cat.jpg.html<<<<<<<

Hi Jim,
Everything is perfect. BUT! :-(

It may not be an absolute written in the photographers good book of rules
and regulations, but it is something we as photographers must always keep in
mind when shooting scenes such as this. Which is a beautiful warm family
setting. BUT!

Ready?

The young lad is looking at you and camera! Yes I know it might be
considered nit-picking by some, but that one little item means winning or
not winning the Gold Ring! You lose! :-(

You're standing there camera at the ready to capture the moment and all you
have to do is keep an eye on eye line! They are not going anywhere so it's a
simple item to be aware of!

I bet the three of them  at more than a dozen times were all looking at
Splat the Cat! That's the click moment! Total involvement in the story
telling. Not as we see here with the young lad eye balling you! Yep it's
still a nice family moment, but it could've been a major magical totally
engrossed family golden moment if he wasn't looking at you.
Sorry mate you asked and I offer. No gold ring this time! :-( Close, but
that only counts in horse shoes!
Better luck next time.
cheers,
Dr. ted