Subject: [Leica] Dante's point about micro lenses on the M9 sensor
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 23:19:58 -0500

> I'm very probably just showing up my ignorance on the topic, but I
> thought that the M9 sensor's microlenses were only around the periphery
> of the sensor, to correct the vignetting that would otherwise have
> been caused by the light rays at the periphery striking at
> the wrong angle.  If the microlenses do not cover the entire sensor,
> then I don't think they can be acting as a kind of AA filter.
> I'm expecting to be corrected on this!

Many layers your typical DSLR has;
Bayer, ant alias, microlens, RGB. With a rich creamy filling.
It doesn't have to be about non retrofocal lens design for rangefinder
cameras for them to have a microlens layer. Its just tends to be part of the
ball game.

It's my opinion that the design and implementation of such layers and the
complex electronics which back them  and their interrelationships are beyond
casual armchair theorizing by us. Its just not amateur stuff its a advanced
electrical optical engineering and a sub specialty of that no doubt those
people had to stay late after school.  I think we just make asses out of
ourselves when we think we can out think the people who put these systems
together.

Mark William Rabiner