Subject: [Leica] Mac - Solid State or HD - for Tina
From: spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 13:27:37 -0500

Tina,

The current generation of MacBook is fast enough as a desktop replacement.
From a cost-benefit perspective, the iMacs is a better buy. Do you go with
the left or the right side (of your brain :)?

If there is a reasonably good chance that you need to take your Mac
somewhere else (the farm, El Salvador,...) more than a few times a year, buy
the laptop.

There are 2 commercial application (VMWare and Parallels) and one free one,
VirtualBox, which allows you to run Windows on a Mac. There is also BootCamp
but I don't like dual booting when there is a lot of data that has to be
shared between the 2 OSs. More chance to mess up something on the disk.

I have used both VMWare and Parallels. They both work for me to run
QuickBook which my accountant prefers. Brian had said in the past that he
preferred VMWare. The only thing I run under Windows (using VMWare or
Parallel) is QuickBook. Everything else I run has a Mac version or I find a
Mac replacement.

Have you tried to call to the maker of IDimager to see if they are
doing/planning a Mac port? Many more S/W are been ported to the Mac now days
compared to the dark days of around the turn of the century.

Regards,
Spencer

Replies: Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] Mac - Solid State or HD - for Tina)
Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Mac - Solid State or HD - for Tina)