Subject: [Leica] m9 review
From: dstella1 at ameritech.net (Dante Stella)
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 20:26:11 -0500

Mark, this is not about raw speed - though I know that makes for a
better straw-man.

1.      David Keenan is dead-on correct about the M8/M9 architecture, which
has a long shutter lag (six times that of an M3 and double that of a
D3), is slow to a second shot (should/when you need one), and can lock
up fairly easily taking repeated shots, even without mashing down the
shutter button on continuous.  I have years of experience with this on
the M8 and agree with Keenan that unresponsiveness - particularly on a
first shot - is inexcusable.  This is even more the case where a
camera allegedly is designed to capture some "decisive moment."

2.      Two things that didn't get mentioned (and hopefully these have not
carried on to the M9) are (a) the tendency of the M8 to wildly
overexpose if the shutter is pressed too quickly when the meter is
"waking up" - apparently a bad habit carried over with the M7 meter -
and (b) the tendency not to fire the flash at all if the shutter is
tripped too quickly after the shutter is first pressed.  Then go to #1
above for the slow recovery from the resulting missed shot.

If the M9 is in any way worse than an M8 in responsiveness, it's a
fail.  I don't believe that a camera should have any ability to second-
guess, ask for a "do-over," or be asleep on the job when I need it.

The decision when and if to take a picture is not an exercise for a
committee.

Unless that committee is a committee of one.

Me.

Dante

Dante Stella
http://www.dantestella.com