Subject: [Leica] A digital camera problem.......
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 13:55:51 +0100

Frank,

I've run similar tests with SLR lenses by all sorts of different
manufacturers, but with the same focal length, on a Canon DSLR , it's
true, you do get some big surprises, and you sometimes find that certain
Leica SLR lenses are not all that spectacular.

One of my best 200mm lenses is a no name (at least no name I could find
- Optomax), very grubby, T-mount f4 lens I picked up on a fleamarket
near Gatwick airport for 2 pounds fifty, it beats the socks off its
Zeiss and Rollei equivalents. I also discovered a 4/135 Voigtl?nder
Color-Dynarex in Rollei QBM-mount that is incredibly compact, light and
a real killer.

Other surprising lenses turned up from Yashica (2.8/55 macro, 2.8/24,
and 3.5/21), Topcon (1.8/58) and a Japanese built Rollei 3.5/200. all
great quality and really cheap on the s/h market.

The demise of film has made this lens collecting fun a very reasonably
priced new hobby. On Monday I'll be picking up an OM-10 with 2 lenses,
three Pentax PK lenses (for an almost mint P-30 I found in a charity
shop in the UK), a Voigtlaender VITO CL fixed-lens rangefinder and a
Gossen meter all for a total of around 180 euros at my local camera shop.

There's a Minolta SLR too, but I think I'll pass on that one because the
lenses don't adapt to Canon without an intermediate lens element for
infinity focus.

So far I've only had one real dog of a lens, a Centon 28-70 with so much
flare that you think you've been shooting in thick fog, but it came with
the P-30 with a leather case and 2 other lenses for 20 pounds, so I'm
not complaining much.

A brand new hobby that doesn't cost much - what more could you ask for?
Anything I can't use goes to the next camera shop in part exchange for
something else. :-)

Cheers, and have fun testing and comparing.
Douglas