Subject: [Leica] Hologon 16, convert to Leica, or get a G2?
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 13:07:26 +0100

Richard,

I don't really see the point - the CV 15 mm is an excellent lens,
reasonably priced and some reviewers have written that it is actually
superior to the Hologon. Another difference is that the Hologon has only
a fixed aperture of f8, while the CV 15 has  f4.5 to f22 (not that it
makes all that much difference at such short focal lengths).

Admittedly, the Hologon is quite a spectacular looking piece of kit, but
it definitely needs the centre-grad filter to get decent results (this
also makes the effective aperture f11 if I remember rightly).

Going the way of the Contax G is risky, who knows how long the
electronics will last. In this respect, a mount conversion to M would be
more advisable.

Zeiss apparently also produced the Hologon with an M-mount in limited
numbers, but this was later superseded by their 2.8/15mm in ZM-mount for
the new Zeiss-Ikon RF camera (which is another route you could take)

Why not go the whole hog and try a CV 5.6/12mm Ultra-Wide Heliar? It's a
wonderful lens. I usually use both the CV lenses on an M6 or a Minolta
CLE. The metering characteristics of the CLE seem to be a better match
to both.

Cheers
Douglas