Subject: [Leica] northern california service
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto at earthlink.net)
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 16:25:16 -0500

Charlie Chan wrote:

... it may just be sensible to send it to Solms, traumatic though that may
be. As we both know, the 280/4 is one heck of a lens and maybe just the
best R lens ever made. If it gets screwed up elsewhere, then where are you
going to find another one!
<<<

Recognizing that wherever I take the lens for service it's people doing the
work, and people are not infallible... my previous experience with Solms
service didn't inspire confidence.  When the 280's front element had to be
replaced the lens was in Germany for FOUR MONTHS and returned missing the
front cap and with the aperture mechanism disconnected from the aperture
control ring.  Leica USA FedEx'd a replacement cap but after 4 months
downtime there was no way I was going to send it back to fix the aperture
linkage, so I fixed it myself: remove four screws: line up the linkage,
replace four screws.  How that passed a final inspection is beyond my
comprehension.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

mail2web.com - Microsoft? Exchange solutions from a leading provider -