Subject: [Leica] OT: Blasphemy Canon EOS 5D Mark II!
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 10:55:02 -0700

At 11:13 AM -0700 11/2/09, Greg Lorenzo wrote:
>Been ignoring digital SLR's as Leica has only made the now discontinued DMR.
>

>Is the Canon EOS 5D Mark II my best digital FF option for using with
>my R glass?
>

>TIA.
>

>Greg Lorenzo

Greg, if you have neither Canon nor Nikon lenses you can go either
route depending on which camera seems to handle better. Image quality
overall is a toss-up. The Canon has higher resolution.

Leica R lenses work on the Nikons with the Leitax conversions, which
are reversible. On the Canons, you don't have to touch the lenses but
can use adapters with or without focus confirmation. If you use the
lenses regularly it's probably best to have an adapter on each lens,
so the cost overall isn't going to be a lot different.

In either case, it's probably reasonable to get one decent mid range
zoom of the manufacturer's make to realistically judge the useability
of the Leica lenses against the camera manufacturer's integrated
offerings.

Personally, I prefer the Nikon bodies by a slight margin, but overall
like the Canon system better and currently use the 5DII.

A good idea might be to get a used Canon 5D, which are available for
less than $1500 and see if you like it. Get one Leica R to Canon
adapter and you're away. The Canon 5D quality is still one of the
best and it will give you a good idea if you can live with one of
theses solutions.
--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design