Subject: [Leica] Petition for R10
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 08:52:54 -0800

The M9 already exists, I was referring to new camera product development.
If I go back just a few months, then my recommended priority was  #1 FF M8,
#2 a Digi FF SLR, #3 new optics to go with the DigiR.  Deep 6 the S2,
continue with the rebranded products to bring in some short term profits.
Followed by product tweaks.

R Bodies: Poor seller?  The R8, introduced in 1996, was one of the last high
end SLR Film cameras.  It was hideously behind in features compared to Nikon
and Canon.  But it did take R glass.  By 1999, the R8 and R9 was selling
against the Digi-SLR rebellion ( Nikon D1 introduced in 1999).  The R9 was
never going to be a big winner, when everyone was buying digital.  If it had
been a Digi camera, it might have been Leica's best seller!  Think of all
the R fans out there that would beat down the doors to use their R glass
with a Digi R and not gone Canon or Nikon..

I am already on record.. the S2 "stole" resources from the R10, and for that
reason alone it should have been cancelled.

Leica does not make the X1.  It is a financial strategy.  As it does not
steal a large amount of resources from the R+D team, I am neutral on its
existence.
Anyone that does not like the X1 because of its features ( or whatever
reason you wish to put here) is going out and buying a $13-20K of M9 stuff?
I doubt they buyers are in the same camp.  2 different markets, with little
to no overlap.

Frank Filippone
red735i at earthlink.net

M9, M10? Cameras like the X1 that bridge the gap between P&S and the M
range.

The R range has been a poor seller for a long time. Did Leica ever recover
the development costs of the R8? I'm sure that if the S2 had been at the
same level of development at the R10 when the recession started and/or the
new CEO joined it too would have been canned.

Steve