Subject: [Leica] photo quotes
From: h_arche at yahoo.com (H. Ball Arche)
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 16:16:56 -0700 (PDT)

Yeah, I've seen several different versions of the same idea too. I don't
think it was something that he said once and then got garbled, but rather
that it was an idea that he expressed differently at different times.

Also, according to Szarkowski, the number of frames he left that he had not
even looked at was definitely above 300,000, and possibly more than 400,000,
not 60,000. I doubt I'll shoot anywhere near that in my life. I'm also
intrigued by the fact that, even in normal times (as opposed to near the end
when he fell so far behind) Winogrand let his images set a year before
looking at them. He wanted to be as far removed as possible from the
feelings he had when actually shooting when making his choices of images.

"Photographers mistake the emotion they feel while taking the picture as
judgment that the photograph is good."

I wish I had some mechanism that would allow me to be as distanced and
objective when editing.