Subject: [Leica] was iso 100.000+?? now photo quotes
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 16:16:43 -0400

Ernie,

>> People often ask how can I shoot film esp. on vacation as I won' t
know
if "the shot" came out.  Then it's a discussion of bracketing which
causes their eyes to glaze over.  I'm doing a project with Kodachrome
and I rather like the suprise I get in the mail box when I get a package

from Parsons, Kansas.<<

The first thing that goes when I start shooting digital is knowing
whether or not the shot came out. I don't rely on my intuition. I chimp.

Sensing an image is like touch in golf. You can only get it from
experience. In golf, after a layoff you can come out and still drive the
ball a good distance and be fairly accurate. But your short game --
chips, putts, flops shots and pitches that require finesse and a good
sense of feel -- goes all to heck and it takes a while to get it back.

When I'm shooting lots of film the moment I press the shutter I pretty
much know if I got it. Conversely, when I'm shooting a roll after a long
layoff, I have to concentrate on things that should be automatic. I end
up missing things, like focus, or exposure.

Thus I can see why people, after they move to digital photography find
it difficult to go back to film on any level. But, for amateurs at
least, there are elements to enjoy with film that you won't find in
digital photography.

Also, say what you will about ink jet and silver prints being
indistinguishable, but the ability to photograph well with film, as well
as silver printing, is becoming rarer all the time. There's perceived
value in scarcity, assuming the content has equal merit.

Dave R