Subject: [Leica] iso 100.000+??
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 15:32:37 -0500

Quoth the Sonny Carter :

> I'm trying to understand the value of a camera that can show
> something that
> I cannot see.  I might as well start out with an x-ray camera as a
> 100000
> iso camera.  Same with Infra red, and black and white.
>
> Don't get it. Never will.

It's not the top end that matters.... it's the effects lower down.  I
have a 1DIIn that shoots 8.5 frames a second.... about which factoid
I couldn't possibly care less. It's fun to amuse first-graders and
non-techie adults, and if I did high-speed sports I could possible
see some useful applications, but otherwise, me no importa.

What I DO care about is that it means that the camera cycles quickly
enough that when I need to I can get off two or three shots so close
together that it only makes one noise and I can't tell the difference
between the frames at less than 100%.

Likewise, the fact that the new camera can produce an only moderately
crappy ISO 100000 image means jack, except that that camera can
probably produce a very-much-usable (or croppable) image at ISO
12,800... which WOULD be quite useful.  If I'd been able to shoot the
badly-lit high school auditorium full of political candidates which
claimed my yesterday evening at 160/f8 instead of 80/f3.2, my editing
chores this morning would have been much less painful.

100,000 is marketing gee-whiz. 12,800, that's a good number.

--
R. Clayton McKee                            http://www.rcmckee.com
Photojournalist                                 rcmckee at rcmckee.com
P O Box 571900                               voice/fax   713/783-3502
Houston, TX 77257-1900                    cell number on request
The only guidebooks worth reading begin with the phrase
    "When you get to the end of the paved road, continue..."

Message from steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] iso 100.000+??)
Message from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] iso 100.000+??)