Subject: [Leica] Stock Photography
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 08:33:38 -0700

Hi Frank,
Apparently at the time the demands of stock agencies of the day and which
camera delivered the best captured size "their technical" people were ruling
the world." That is whether you or we contracted photographers liked it or
not. Cameras were being tested as a new version was released... not tested
by photographers, but highly skilled and trained technical staff. So when
they offered their testing wisdom of which sensors or whatever technical
aspects were found in what cameras.That information was passed on to the
photographers simply because in the stock industry, he who has the highest
possible qualities of images for content and technical reproduction sold the
most! At the time it was NIKON! This still had absolutely nothing to do with
content... that's always been the responsibility of the photographer holding
the camera.

This had nothing to do with quality of content, that was always demanded!
The "perfect image and content" was never asked to be changed! Always the
best possible, then some! It was one of the biggest demands! Besides unless
the quality of content is smack you in the face required for the ad agency
demands, it wasn't sold! So everyone lost income... Stock agency and
photographer. Not to forget the "photo editor who let it slip by got their
knuckles wrapped for selecting an inferior image." Content!

>>> Not the question of technical quality, just  the kind ( brand name) of
>>> the
> camera.....
>
> THAT is what I rebel against.. and other, similar,
> stupidities.....<<<<<<<<<<

Again Frank that is your prerogative, unfortunately or fortunately you can
rebel all you like, but the industry of the day dictated very high standards
as digital cameras were still learning how to crawl, let alone produce
anything compared to the likes of today!

>>> Content and quality are what counts...And I do not get that feeling from
>>> the
> discussions we have had on Stock ......well maybe content for the intended
> purpose of the buyer.... but certainly not quality.....<<<<<<<<<

Actually the decision of a selected image for use in an advertisement has
nothing to do with the photographer and his or her equipment. It's the
selection of an art director in the advertising agency looking for an image
in his concept of how to best catch the eye of customers to purchase "their
clients" product. I'm sure you have seen many horrid TV commercial that
almost make you throw-up. But that isn't the fault of the cameraman nor
equipment. It's the art director... And sometimes they will select a
photographer because of the look of his photography and whatever equipment
he owns in producing it. ERGO: Nikon over Leica or CANON..

Well it seems some of the posts were by people not working at it for years
or weeks or questionable experiences in the industry. So that may have been
why you feel as you do. Hopefully Tina and myself have helped explain the
demands of what the high end Stock agencies demanded. And not the kind of
disaster it is at present due to greedy money grabbing people trying to
control it all today with their $40. dollar pay outs for images.

ted