Subject: [Leica] OK, which medium format FILM camera for portraiture
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 04:37:52 -0400

> Alright, I have a Mamiya 7II, which does everything well except closer
> portraits. Seeing that I can get a SL66 with a 80mm ZEISS lens for
> $600, or a 501C with again the ZEISS 80 for $999, it seems like I'd be
> losing money if I don't buy them :-)
>
> My requirements: nice portrait lens (e.g. nice bokeh), not too heavy,
> good ergonomic, a meter a plus. Handheldable, although I won't be
> lugging it around to hiking much - that's a job for the Mamiya.
>
> Any recommendation? I know there are digital backs for even the Hassy
> 501C, or the Mamiya 645, so there are some growth possibility later,
> but it's not primary importance.

I would for sure get into Hasselblad at this time there is a much bigger
selection of Zeiss glass over the Rollei  and prisms and bellows  and backs
of all sorts  and you can get stuff fixed the Rollei 66 is in the collector
category they are near rare Hasselblad stuff was used by every hack wedding
photographer and Ansel Adams and all the greats. Its a buyers market and its
the serious photographic instrument of the late  decades.
When a cheap enough digital back comes out for it it will skyrocket back up
in price again.
Think of the shot of the guy standing on the moon.
You know what that was shot with.
And it wasn't a Mamiya and it wasn't a Rollei 66.

If you want to fondle rare interesting stuff get the Rollei.
If you want to shoot serious pix get into Hassy.

Get a twin lens Rolleiflex - With the Schneider 2.8 Xenotar.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from richard.lists at gmail.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] OK, which medium format FILM camera for portraiture)