Subject: [Leica] Stock Photography
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 07:28:14 -0700

This started with a discussion of what technical issues got the stock agency
to accept a photo.  ( the 48MB and what camera issues).
Then it got to what image types sold.  ATYA36 is an example.

Most of the members here are amateurs.  We are curious.  Some may want to
make money from Photography, and Stock is an avenue of revenue.
But most of us ( probably really close to all) want to make images that are
both or either pretty or socially or familiarly meaningful.  It appears that
we would take a lot of pictures and the stock agency would either reject
them or would not sell.  ( The word go hungry applies.)

I think we find this very surprising, and maybe a bit personally insulting.
We all think we take good photographs.  People should want them.

But for those of you that make a living  .... and I do expect that you would
have to work really pretty hard, and take a lot of pictures.....
I am amazed.  Simply amazed.  I just did not expect pictures like ATYA36
would be desirable.  It is the kind of picture I would normally just delete.
But $270 is not chicken feed.

And maybe that is the reason I am not a Stock Photographer.... I have no
sense of what would sell.....None.  And no desire to take a single picture
like ATYA36, no less lots of them.

Tina, please take no offense at what I have said nor my picking on ATYA36.
You make a living selling this.  To be honest, I really think your social
photography ( Guatemala) is how I think of you and remember you.  And they
are beautiful, and meaningful, and socially welcome.  If putting bacon on
the table requires you to take pictures like ATYA36, so that you can do work
like Guatemala, then keep it up.

Frank Filippone
red735i at earthlink.net

I really don't know why everyone is so negative about stock
photography.  It's a way of making a living!  I almost never lease any
photos for commercial use.  99% of mine are leased for editorial use -
usually in textbooks, sometimes in magazines.  Here is a very typical
one that Alamy leased today:
*
*
**ATYA36