Subject: [Leica] Stock Photography
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 09:36:10 -0400

LUG:

I really don't know why everyone is so negative about stock
photography.  It's a way of making a living!  I almost never lease any
photos for commercial use.  99% of mine are leased for editorial use -
usually in textbooks, sometimes in magazines.  Here is a very typical
one that Alamy leased today:
*
*
**ATYA36

**

Go to http://www.alamy.com and put that number in the search box to see
the photo.
It was leased for one page use in a college textbook for $270.  Alamy
leases about 10 to 12 a month of mine for similar use - better than all
of my other stock agencies combined.  I lease others directly in
response to requests.  Five years ago the prices were almost double what
we get today but there were also fewer sales.  The internet and digital
photography have changed everything.  I used to have to send in
duplicate slides, wait to be approved, and then send the original.
Everything is instant today.  Deadlines for requests are seldom more
than one or two days from the request.

The stock photos that are compared to clip art are usually micro-stock.
Those sell for less than $1 per use and 75% of that goes to the
micro-stock agency.  That's a different world that I would never enter.
All of my photos are rights managed, meaning they are leased for
one-time use.  Most of them come out of my files, but I'll also go out
and take photos to fill requests.

All stock is not evil!

Tina
www.tinamanley.com