Subject: [Leica] Leica] OT: A pox on all virus and malware writers
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 10:49:11 -0700

Mark:  One thing you can try is to do a "System Restore."  Windows
periodically keeps copies of its operating system and program files state.
 You can roll back your system to the state that it was in on
such-and-such a date.  Try rolling it back to a point a day or two before
the problems started, then use your virus scan program to clean up any
recent restore points from after the infection.

I do not know for sure if this will clear up any rootkit issues, but it
should unless the malware infects multiple system restore points.  This
malware is fairly new, so that is unknown right now.

The menu sequence to get to System Restore is:
Start Menu, Programs (or All Programs), Accessories, System Tools, System
Restore...
and follow the prompts.

I had a user with the same malware last week. I haven't heard from him yet
about whether the system restore worked. So I feel your pain.  I heartily
agree with your assessment of malware authors.  My fantasy punishment for
them involves a combination of Texas law and certain Middle Eastern
practices.

--Peter