Subject: [Leica] Who is Training Who?
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 12:08:59 -0500

I have a storage barn in my back yard, built on skids and sitting on a slab,
so that there is a nice, sheltered space beneath.  Over the years, leaves
have blown under the barn, providing nesting material.  A chipmunk is
apparently living in this space, and possibly in a nearby burrow.

An old concrete block provides a step into the barn, and forms a protected
spot where it adjoins the slab.  From time to time, I place an ear of corn
behind the block.  A few days later, the stripped corn cob appears on top of
the step, an apparent request for a replacement.  Although we are
communicating, I'm not sure who is in control. He appears to have obtained
the desired response from me by reinforcing my activities.

While I have never been able to get close enough to this little fellow to
snap a photo, I did get a shot of his more cooperative Western cousin many
years ago, in Rocky Mountain National Park.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Cigar+Box/The+Moocher+1991.jpg.html

Comments appreciated.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA