Subject: [Leica] Zeiss Normal 50mm f/2 Planar T* ZM
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 07:11:59 +1000

That rather misses the point though Richard.
To assist in achieving those design goals, some of those blanks are from
extremely expensive and exotic glass types.
Grinding and inspection is done one element at a time by extremely skilled
operators. Assembly into the intricate all metal mounts is entirely by hand
which themselves are expensive  and made to tolerances of 1/100th of a mm.
Example of important contributor to Leica lens excellence
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/g/l_001/s032.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/g/l_001/S07.jpg.html
 http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/g/l_001/S09.jpg.html

--