Subject: [Leica] Zeiss Normal 50mm f/2 Planar T* ZM
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 14:26:53 -0400 (EDT)

Frank Filippone wrote:

>Makes no difference to the cost of the blanks.  A chunk of glass of type ABC
>is the same, regardless of the grinding yet to be done on it.  Yes, the cost
>of making those blanks into a finished lens element may/could/probably is
>different.

Company A can specify glass type ABC with tolerances for refractive index
+-0.2% dispersion +-0.25% surface hardness +-0.3% expansion coefficient
+-0.7% and company B can specify the same glass type with tolerances 1/2 of
company A's requirements and I'll bet company B's glass blanks are gonna
cost more and the finished lenses will show a lot less sample variation.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Zeiss Normal 50mm f/2 Planar T* ZM)